- To make the white chocolate pannacotta, have four 100ml capacity ramekins ready (you can spray them lightly with cooking spray so that the pannacotta does not stick – I don’t do this and mine never stick). Soften the gelatine in the water for a few minutes. Heat the milk and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat, add the white chocolate and stir until dissolved. Now squeeze the gelatine well to remove excess water and add to the pannacotta, stirring until it is incorporated. Strain and then pour into the ramekins. Place in the fridge for 4-5 hours (or even overnight) until set. I cover the ramekins loosely with cling film.
- To make the ginger crumb – place the ginger, flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl and give it a quick stir. Melt the butter in the microwave then stir this into the dry ingredients. Add a tablespoon or two of water to make a clumped crumbly mixture and place in an oven-proof tray. Bake in a 180C oven for 15 to 20 minutes until it turns golden.
- Wash and halve the plums, twist to remove the central stone. Place the plums on a baking tray and drizzle on the maple syrup, orange juice, vanilla bean paste and scatter the sugar. You can also add some orange segments to the tray. Bake at 200C for 15 to 20 minutes, until the plums are soft but still maintain their shape (the cooking time will depend on how firm and large your plums are). Turn up the heat to 240C for the last few minutes if you would like them to look a bit crisp around the edges. Allow to cool a bit before serving (or even serve at room temperature).
- To unmould the pannacotta, dip the base of the ramekin in hot water then flip it over tap the rim a few times onto the plate. It should drop down fairly easily. Sprinkle some ginger crumb, place a few plums on the plate and drizzle some of the sticky cooking juices from the roasted plums. Serve your white chocolate pannacotta immediately.
White Chocolate Pannacotta w Roast Plums & a Ginger Crumb
Recipe by Paola Bacchia - Italy On My Mind
- For the pannacotta:
- 200ml milk
- 30g caster sugar
- 200g white chocolate ( I used Cioccolato Lombardo 36% white chocolate)
- 3g (1 and 1/2 sheets) gold-strength gelatin leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- For the ginger crumb:
- 110g plain flour
- 15g raw sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110g unsalted butter (I used Pepe Saya cultured butter)
- For the plums:
- 10 firm, ripe plums (several different varies makes a nice contrast)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar