- Before starting this recipe remove the rib eye steak from the refrigerator so it can come to room temperature or close.
- To make the salsa verde chop the herbs by hand quite finely (this can also be done in a food processor).
- Bring together the garlic and a pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle and bash to a paste, add the anchovies and continue to bash/ grind until the anchovies are also of a paste consistency.
- Work the olive oil, mustard and vinegar into the garlic and anchovy mixture, fold through the herbs followed by the cornichons and capers and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Use your fingers or a brush to rub the surface area of the rib-eye with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place onto a pre-heated BBQ sitting on a medium/ high heat and cook for 3-6 minutes each side depending on the doneness you wish to achieve (if cooking over coals it may need more time, depending on how hot they are).
- Once cooked transfer the meat to a plate and allow to rest for at least five minutes.
- Once rested, slice your rib eye steak approximately 5mm in thickness and serve with the salsa verde on the side and your favourite salad or vegetables, like this Potato salad with tarragon and fresh horseradish.
Rib Eye Steak with Salsa Verde
Recipe by Tobie Puttock
Try something different this Christmas Day and serve up a delicious rib eye steak instead of your traditional turkey.
- 1 X Rib-eye steak weighing approx 500g with bone
- sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- For the salsa verde:
- 1 large handful freshly picked flat leaf parsley
- 1 large handful freshly picked basil
- 1 large handful freshly picked mint
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons of salted capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 4 cornichons, roughly chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 heaped tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper