- Place chicken breast side down on a large chopping board and using kitchen scissors to cut through the bones either side of the backbone. Flip the chicken and use both hands to push the chicken flat (Check out the video here).
- Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper.
- Grate the zest of one lemon into a small bowl, season with salt and pepper and add just enough extra virgin olive oil to bring it together into a paste.
- Using your fingers, loosen the skin covering the breasts and thighs and carefully rub the lemon under the skin. Season the outer skin of the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Halve the remaining lemons and place them flesh side down on the BBQ. Place the chicken skin side down (preferably on a cooler part of the BBQ).
- Once the lemons are a deep caramel colour you can set them aside.
- After approximately 30 minutes* slide the chicken to the hotter side of the BBQ for 4-5 minutes to crisp up the skin. Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a chopping board (skin side up) and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken rests, squeeze 1/3 cup of the grilled lemon juice into a mixing bowl, add the garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, the chopped parsley and mix to combine.
- Serve the chicken with the lemon juice and parsley dressing and garnish with the remaining caramelised lemon halves.
*The cooking time for this BBQ chicken will vary on the size of your chicken. Larger chickens will take longer, smaller chickens will take less time. To test if your chicken is cooked pierce it with a skewer and if the juice comes out pink, then it needs more time. If it comes out clear, you’re good to go!
To watch Tobie demonstrate this very BBQ chicken recipe, you can click through here and see exactly how he does it- including spatchcocking the chicken and how he places the rub under the chicken’s skin.
Never miss another recipe and make sure you like and follow us on Facebook!