- Place the potato in a small saucepan filled with cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until fork tender. Peel, dice and set aside.
- While the potato is cooking, sauté the cipollina onions (or baby leeks) in a dash of olive oil in a medium-sized, lidded saucepan for 10 minutes on low heat until translucent, making sure they do not colour.
- Place the sliced mushrooms in a small frypan with a dash of olive oil on medium heat and sauté for about 3 minutes. Reserve a few (for serving) and toss the rest in with the onion. Add the previously cooked diced potato and a litre of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes. Now remove from the heat, blend using a stick blender, add salt and pepper to taste and return to the heat and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- Place the mushroom and potato soup in warmed serving bowls, stir through a spoonful of creme fraiche (to taste), toss in a few of the reserved slices of mushroom, finely chopped parsely and serve with cipolline onion focaccia.
Mushroom and potato soup
Recipe by Paola- Italy On My Mind
Serves 4 as an entree
- 275g wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- dash olive oil
- 400g potato,cooked, peeled and diced
- 100g cipollina onions (or baby leeks), peeled/cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- finely chopped parsley
- creme fraiche (1 large dollop per person)